Friday, May 15, 2009

TSA

Does anyone know what that stands for? Anyone?? It stands for Thumb Sucking Appliance. That is what I took Quinlynne to Frisco, TX to be fitted for this week. I have a friend who works for a Pediatric dentist there, and I got a good deal on it. As most of you know, I have been fighting Quinlynne and her finger sucking habit for ages. Her fingers are deformed because of this habit. (I'll try to get a picture of those later for you to look at.) I have tried so many different things to get her to stop. Every time I see those fingers in that mouth- $$$$ is all I see. It's starting to affect some of her speech sounds. Desperate times call for desperate measures. We had been to the dentist once before, but they didn't even really get to inspect her teeth. So, we went to Dr. Rubin and Quinlynne had some xrays taken (have bad news about that).
They made a mold of her mouth to have the TSA made. When they took her back to inspect her further and make her mold, I left. They are the experts and I wanted them to do what they do. I just snuck back for a few pics and didn't let her see me. When she came out she had big tears in her eyes and she told me she had been crying, that they stuck play dough in her mouth, and she had been crying for me, she wanted me. Talk about make my heart break! I am assuming they cleaned her teeth because she told me they flossed her teeth and her teeth look "Sooo bootiful". She even got a new pair of sunglasses to wear while they worked on her!

(Dental problems tend to be hereditary. I only have 23 teeth due to dental heredity. My mom is missing 7 teeth and my dad's sister is missing 6. I have no wisdom teeth, I am missing a 12 year molar, I have 4 ankelosed teeth that were removed, and I still have a baby tooth in the bottom center front. I have been praying that Quinlynne would have better luck than I. We won't know anything definitively until she is 6 and has the panoramic xray done....but we know for sure that she is missing the 2 bottom center front teeth. She has no adult teeth behind those baby teeth she has now. It could be worse, I keep telling myself. I wonder what else lies waiting??)

No comments: