Saturday, March 28, 2009

Culture?

Warning: this post could be construed as racist. So, if you're easily offended- read no further and come back and visit me at a later time.

Not too long ago, Quinlynne's genetic materials donor told me that she needed to be exposed to "Black Culture". What the crap? Is that stupid or what? The first thing that went through my head after he said that was, "We eat beans and cornbread at our house." But, I kept my mouth shut. You know, if he wants her exposed to this "Black culture", he needs to be the one to "expose" her to it. I, am not Black. I know- you're all in shock at this revelation, right? The simple truth is- I am not Black. Quinlynne, on the other hand, is half Black. Donor- is Black. (Now granted, we all have quit a bit of Native American in us....but let's talk about the obvious.) If I want her exposed to ballet, I take her to the ballet, or take her to ballet classes. If I want her exposed to swimming, I take her to the pool. Are you seeing how this works? This is not a difficult concept. So, I had told my friend Melanie about this conversation. Over Spring Break we went to Texas and Melanie gave Quinlynne a bit of "ghetto" culture. The girl got herself a silver grill!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH!! I have to comment here since I do have some experience in this area with my brother and sister.
Everyone (read "most black folks we ran into in public") said we were doing these children a huge disservice by not exposing them to "black culture."
I agree with you: what the crap does that mean?!
Long story short, Kyle and Keisha have never had scheduled time with other black people, and they've turned out great and very well adjusted.
The color of their skin has never dictated what their interests are, what activities they participate in, or the people they choose to be friends with.
If you want my opinion, Genetic Material Donor's attitude only perpetuates negative racial stereotypes, i.e., the grill.
Maybe I'm wrong..I'm just sayin'.

Keep up the good work, my friend!

Rachel said...

I agree with Natlie. By the way, my hubby served a mission in New York City and swears over and over that the most racist people there (by far) were black people! I have no idea, but I keep hearing comments like your story here and it makes me wonder...It also makes me wonder what HIS IDEA of "Black culture" is...I mean, what do I know? I'm just "a ignorant white girl"...but is he talking about the African-American culture or just a healthy dose of ghetto racism?