Friday, August 7, 2009

Plantar fasciitis

Plantar fasciitis is a painful inflammatory condition of the foot caused by excessive wear to the plantar fascia or plantar aponeurosis that supports the arches of the foot or by biomechanical faults that cause abnormal pronation.[1] The pain usually is felt on the underside of the heel, and is often most intense with the first steps of the day. It is commonly associated with long periods of weight bearing or sudden changes in weight bearing or activity. Jobs that require a lot of walking on hard surfaces, shoes with little or no arch support, a sudden increase in weight and over activity are also associated with the condition.
Plantar fasciitis was formerly called "dog's heel" in the United Kingdom. It is sometimes known as "flip-flop disease" among US podiatrists. The condition often results in a heel spur on the calcaneus, in which case it is the underlying condition, and not the spur itself, which produces the pain.
This is not the first time I have suffered from plantar fasciitis. But I am here to tell you, this puppy his hurting. I am suffering from the symptoms of plantar fasciitis in my right heel. I hate it and can't wait for it to subside. I look like a serious idiot when trying to walk right now. Dang it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that hurts so much! I ruptured my plantar fascia last year, and it was not fun.

Angela said...

Fun huh!! I've been dealing with it for years in both feet at the same time!! I didn't know it was called flip flop disease. That is hilarious and so so true! Mine is so much worse in the summer. Did you try the water bottle trick I told you? I love it when I talk about it and people think I am talking about plantar warts....uh NO!! My lowest point was one time in Branson we went to silver dollar city and shopping ALL DAY LONG! I know you can't imagine that!! Anyway the next morning I got out of bed at the hotel and literally fell to the ground and had to crawl while crying to get up. I thought "just cut it off"! My family looked at me like I was insane. Although slightly true, I was just in really bad pain. So that day we SAT and watched a few shows like the BENDIES!~! You still need to see them!