Tuesday, August 25, 2009

In the OR

Today was my 1st day in my OR clinical rotation. In past experiences, any time I have had to be in a sterile field, I always feel very sick & near passing out. So, I just knew it was going to happen to me. The floor I was on today- I observed 3 gynecological surgeries. I was hotter than hades int he room, sweating like crazy. But- I didn't get sick. Getting used to the mask & my glasses fogging up took a while, but I finally got my mask situated so the dang glasses didn't fog over. I got to place 2 foleys (what better patient to practice on than one who is asleep?), and I did them the first try! Tomorrow I don't anticipate any really big surgeries. However, I do anticipate getting in on some rather large surgeries next week.
My instructor came in during the 2nd surgery and asked me how I was doing. I said great! She told me she was sorry she hadn't made it around sooner, but one of my classmates had fainted in surgery. I feel so bad for my classmate, but glad it wasn't me!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Yea cause that would suck!!