Friday, January 2, 2009

Ice Skatin' in Oklahoma??

"Ice skatin' in Oklahoma???" You have to say that with a big twang and drawl. Yes, this was the first year that we had an outdoor ice skating rink in Tulsa. It premiered at Thanksgiving was open through New Years. I kept wanting to take Quinlynne earlier- but my back was giving me fits, so I didn't think strapping on a pair of ice skates was the brightest idea. Finally, 5 days before Christmas I got up the gumption to take Quinlynne. Now- I lived in Minnesota for a couple of winters and outdoor ice rinks are nothing big there...that's where they have the local hockey practice...they're in practically every school yard. Still- I marveled every time I passed one. So- I had to jump on this....


On the way there, I told Quinlynne we were going to skate on the ice. She asked where and I told her "Downtown". So- she thought she was big stuff when Grandi got in the car and she told Grandi "We're goin' downtown to skate! I gonna do a pirouette." No clue how she knew pirouettes occurred on the ice- but by golly- she was gonna do one. After we got everything strapped on and we wobbled our way to the ice....well, let's just say that perhaps next year Quinlynne will attempt a pirouette on the ice. I think the experience would have been better 1) had I found her mittens and brought them with me, 2) I been able to wear regular shoes on the ice and had a stronger foundation, if you will. After a few falls and frozen hands, Quinlynne decided she wanted a "ham-mummer" and wanted to leave.

She hung on to the side for dear life (like her Momma did).

Yes, take a look at that face- doesn't she look happy and comfortable?

Ah- there's always next year.

1 comment:

Sara said...

These are great! It does seem weird that they close after New Year's but then I'm still in Minneapolis, & you know how that is ;)