Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Who says we don't get winter weather?

As many of you know, I lived in Minnesota for 2 winters. If any of you have ever spent time there- you'd know why I say "two winters", instead of how ever many months it was. Many of the people there did not think that we actually got winter weather in Oklahoma. I kept trying to tell them that while we didn't get ANYWHERE nearly as much snow as they did...we could definitely beat them with the ice. During my time in the Frozen Land, I never had to use the actual ice scraper part of my ice scraper. If I did, it was just to scrape the snow off my windshield after it had re-frozen. It could snow 7 inches in an hour, and I just had to use my brush end of the ice scraper in order to clear my windshield. Here, in good old Oklahoma....not so much. We have to scrape and scrape and scrape in order to clear our windshields sometimes. I took a few pictures today of the ice we received. It is not anywhere nearly as bad as it was during the December 2007 ice storm.

This is our firewood. Right now I have to bring it inside a little at a time and place it on a towel, to try and let the ice thaw from it before I can put it in the fireplace.

This is Quinlynne's little swimming pool. Care for a swim?

This is one of our flower pots outside the front door. I don't know how many of them will rebloom in the Spring.
What we have is a couple layers of ice, some sleet, a tich of snow, then more sleet. What you see on the ground that is white and looks like snow is actually just a lot and lot of sleet!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, honey, I'd take the short & severe over the eight months of being completely snowed in any day. Any Day. You do realize that we're about to hit a record for not being over 25 degrees for days in a row right? You've forgotten the endlessness of the cold, the negative 35 with wind chill at night. And I give you all respect for the ice, trust me, I do remember the impossible layers! I wish you all no more ice & am grateful it hasn't been as bad as last year!

Quin's momma said...

Oh my dear Sara- I do remember. My skin has not yet recovered from the sores derived from the constant cold and dryness. I swore if I lived there one more winter I was going to have to get married, just to have someone to rub lotion on my back in the winter. I remember getting so depressed- I just wanted to see some mud! I knew it was bad when my dad came to see me one time and he said "Damn baby, how much it cost to tan?? You need some color!"