Monday, October 5, 2009

Poor little thing

Quinlynne spent the weekend with Charles & Connie so I could study for my exam today. Saturday Uncle Charlie called me to tell me that Quinlynne fell out of the swing. She was crying and wanted her momma. Being the World's Greatest Mother that I am, I told him to just give her some ibuprofen & see what she was like in 20 mins. He called me back & told me that she was doing better.
Let's just fast forward to last night. Mom went to pick up Quinlynne. She got home with her & I did notice a few things about her arm. It was a bit swollen and she was very protective of it. She would not put any pressure on it. I put her to bed & the child woke up a couple of hours later crying because her arm hurt. I noticed her arm was a little crooked. (It is by her wrist on her right arm.)
I decided I didn't want to wait until Monday afternoon, she had waited long enough. I packed up my study materials & my child and headed for St. Francis. We got there and heavens, let me tell you...it was full. Quinlynne was crying, she was scared. Since she was using her arm and had a good ROM in it, no body seemed to think anything was wrong with her. She coughed when we checked in, so the nurse said we'd have to have a chest xray & Q had to wear a mask. She certainly didn't want to. But being the good child she is- she did.
We were called to have xrays done. As Quinlynne was being positioned for the chest xray, she started crying a little and said "I don't want to go to heaven right now." Poor little thing thinks when you go to the hospital, you die. Isn't that sad and cute all at the same time? I assured her she wasn't going to go to heaven right now, we were just going to take some pictures. We took chest xrays and xrays of her wrist & arm.
We waited a few more hours before we were called back to an exam room. (We thought we'd be out of there before 3 am, as that is when the pediatric portion is closed.) Nope, we didn't even really go back to the room before 3 am. Ugh! The nurse & doctor were GREAT with Quinlynne. They let her go with them to look at her xrays & explained them to her.
Sure enough, Quinlynne has a buckle fracture of her right radius near her wrist. The doctor said it was just a little break since her bones are still pliable. We now have to go to an orthopedist. I'm trying to get all of that taken care of today. She is faring well in her splint right now. She just got up from her bed. Poor little thing....keeps on crying out in her sleep.
She did tell me that she thought she'd be okay because Uncle Charlie gave her a blessing when she fell. I'm glad she's learning faith in priesthood blessings at a young age!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! Aren't you glad you took her? When Em broke her arm I didn't take her for almost three whole days because her ROM was good, even though the area was tender. It was cleanly broken in three places. I felt like the worst mother ever.

Pepple said...

Poor Miss Q!! I hope her arm heals quickly. How sweet that she knew the priesthood blessing would help her heal.

Angela said...

Did you get in with Dr. Holderness or keep the Dr. Cavanaugh appt? Glad this didn't happen while I was watching her since Isaiah I am sure would never let me hear the end of it if I broke his girl's arm!! Poor baby! At least you didn't let it go.......a year!! ha!

Sally said...

Oh how sad. I broke my arm once when I was little and my parents were gone. My arm hurt so bad and my mean big brother that pushed my off the monkey bars wouldn't even call our Grandma for me. I hope miss Q gets better quickly.