Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Trip to doctor

We had to make a trip to Quinlynne's doctor today. Quinlynne hasn't had a decent bowel movement in over a week. I was thinking that part of the problem was that she was having issues between going on the potty and going in her pants. I tell you, without going into too much detail- nothing much has been happening and it's been happening in her panties. She has also been picking at her bottom.

I have been giving her some apple juice, prune juice, and last night I gave her a glycerin suppository. All to no avail! So, this morning- after nothing productive happened I made an appointment at her doctor's office.

After waiting in the waiting room for an hour (when it wasn't busy and we were the only people there) and my daughter pooping in her pants we were called back. We went over Quinlynne's diet, looked at her bottom, and felt her tummy. (I had saved the poop she had just released and the doctor looked at that too.) We were sent down to the diagnostic center and Quinlynne had an xray taken.

OK- let me tell you, my daughter has the cutest little bones I've ever seen! She also had a LOT of gas in her upper GI area, and none in her lower GI. We got a call late this evening and the doctor had looked at the xray and determined that she is just severely constipated. I have given the child pear juice, apple prune juice, water, and apples this evening. I will try to get some Miralax for kids tomorrow and see if that will do the trick. Anyone else have any suggestions I have not already listed??

2 comments:

Real Life Roberts said...

Your doing it mamma! Hang in there! Give lots of water and get her to exercise...that will help! Your doing great!

Nicole said...

Katelyn had tons of pooping issues during potty training. She didn't like to go b/c she was usually constipated so she would "withhold" going. It got ugly really quick. Anyway, to make a long story short, I went to a pediatric gastroenternologist (sp)who recommended a daily dose of miralax (2 tsp twice a day mixed in her drink). It worked like a charm. Now she takes 2 tsp once a day, everyday. It's been 7 months now. There are no harming effects...the kids cannot get addicted to it. So keep giving it to her. It is gentle enough she shouldn't get cramps or anything. Good luck!