Saturday, January 2, 2010

Seriously, I'm supposed to feel safe?

On New Year's Eve, mom & I were having a rockin' good time (I had to wake her up before midnight) watching some DVRd shows. Every time I would fast forward I heard yelling. This continued for 2 hours. I finally heard a scream. This is quite unusual for our neighborhood. So- instead of getting up and looking outside (which would take energy & I"m into conserving that), I called 911. When I dial 911 it goes to Broken Arrow 911....so I have to ask for Wagoner County. They transferred me. I begin to tell this deputy about the yelling. He asks me if I can tell where the yelling is coming from...well- here...

Me: Yes, there's some yelling and screaming going on in our neighborhood. It's been going on for a couple of hours.
Deputy: Have you looked to see what's going on?
Me: Nope. But it's been going on for a couple of hours, so I decided to call you.
Deputy: Can you tell where the yelling is coming from?
Me: I'm pretty sure it's coming from the cul-de-sac behind my house.
Deputy: Is it a wooded area?
Me: No, not really. I mean, we all live on a little over an acre. There may be a few more trees in the cul-de-sac.
Deputy: OK....
Me: When you come into the neighborhood, we are the 1st house in the neighborhood. The 1st street you can turn on, you'll turn left. That's the cul-de-sac.
Deputy: OK. What's a cul-de-sac?
Me: (In complete dismay, shock, and trying to stifle laughter. I looked at mom, my eyebrows raised & mouthed the words "what the EFFF?") Ummm, it's a road that is a circle at the end.
Deputy: Oh, a circle drive. OK, do you want us to check on you when we're done?
Me: No, just see what's going on over there. I'm going to bed.

Now I ask you.....I'm supposed to feel safe with this law-enforcement officer who does not know what a cul-de-sac is? And...I did not mention to him that a circle drive is a driveway in someone's yard that is "U" shaped.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah, they're not really confidence-inspiring, are they? One night a deputy came by to check on our alarm and he was so small I think Jack could have beaten him up.

Anonymous said...

It's like the electrician on Seinfeld that called the outlet "the holes."