Monday, November 24, 2008

Step back- ELECTION 2008

OK, so I know we're all so thankful that the 2008 Presidential Election is over. However, since my camera and computer were not working during that time- I'm finally getting around to posting about it.

An area bakery (Merritt's) held an unofficial poll between McCain and Obama by selling sugar cookies decorated with each candidate's name. A tally was kept of how many cookies of each candidate was sold- and that is how the total was computed. (Did any of that make sense?) I just HAD to participate. ANY excuse to patron Merritt's! I went down and bought cookies for the candidate I supported- and one of the candidate I did not support- because I needed it for the scrapbook page I'll eventually get around to.

We talked a little about the election with Quinlynne. I doubt she'll retain any of that- but I at least tried. Then- I let her go to town with the cookie of our man.

Election morning dawned and I HAD to go vote before I went to work. Our local voting place is the Elk's lodge across Highway 51. The last Presidential election I left the house about 45 minutes earlier than I normally did- and I was still an hour late for work. That was not going to happen to me this time. I left the house and was in my car outside the Elk's lodge at 5:30. I was the 5th person in line!!!! When they finally opened the polls, and I got to cast my ballot- I was the 4th ballot cast! I was so darned proud of myself and knew that my maternal grandparents were very proud of me for sacrificing just a little to take advantage of my right to vote- after all that has been sacrificed for that right. I got to thinking as I was waiting- how thankful I was/am to those women who took part in the suffrage movement and stood up so they, and other women would have the right to vote. Thank you, ladies. I'm proud to be an American Woman!

No comments: