Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Another UTI

My poor, poor baby.... This past Saturday Quinlynne was crankier than is her norm. I mean, she would just start crying for no reason and was yelling at both Grandi and myself. I was beginning to think I may need to trade her in. I knew she felt a little warm and clammy at times as well. Well, Sunday morning Grandi came in the living room to tell me that Quinlynne had another UTI. Quinlynne had a low fever, and every time she had to urinate she would cry. I'm not talking about whining a bit- but full on crying and holding her potty. She had urinary frequency and sometimes could not control it.

With it being a holiday weekend, I knew we could not wait to get in to see her doctor with the kind of urethral pain she was having. I had to go to church and direct the music. I really haven't been at church for the past 2 months. Mom had not arranged for a substitute for her Primary class. So- it was decided that Grandi would take Quinlynne to the ER to start the waiting process and I would meet them there after the firs 2 hours of church.

Grandi took Quinlynne to St. Francis South. Ends up, the nurse that took care of her was my old school nurse- and mom had taught her daughter! Apparently Quinlynne had quite the time giving a urine specimen. Grandi was afraid they were going to straight cath her- but they were able to get a specimen. (Come to find out- Quinlynne would not go potty in the potty hat for a reason. She told Grandi later that she didn't want to put the "hat" on her head after she'd gone pee pee in it.) Quinlynne in fact, has a UTI.

Quinlynne had been a very good girl. She had played on her laptop, read some books, My Little Pony and Barbie had several conversations. She even took her stethascope so she could listen to the hearts of the doctor and nurse. As we were leaving she told the doctor "Thank you. Thank you for the medicine that make me feel better." Isn't that sweet?

Anyhow- I asked the PA that was there in the ER if she thought it was odd that this was Quinlynne's SECOND UTI that we knew about. She did think it was "noteworthy", and encouraged me to mention this to her PCP. Quinlynne has a new PCP that she will be seeing Friday. I hope the doctor will take me seriously and address my concerns with Quinlynne's bowels and her urinary issues. I hope she doesn't have some sort of urinary reflux! What will they do with that??

1 comment:

Real Life Roberts said...

Yucky! Poor Quinlynne! I hope it all smoothes out soon. So glad to see that her party went great! Happy belated to her!