Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fowl deal

OK, don't know if anyone knows this, but we have been without a stove for over a week now. When we were at the fair mom purchased a new Maytag gas stove and a Maytag Microwave ventahood. She got an amazing deal on them both. We have really needed a new stove for quite a while, as one of the burners has not worked since about six months after we moved into the house...in 1990! The kind of stove we had was one that was built into the cabinetry- not a stand alone. So, Uncle Charlie had to get that out by ripping out some wood. Then, he gets the stove out to realize that the "plumbing", if you will, is not configured for gas or electric. So, he's going to have to run a gas line for our new appliance. Then, he was going to have to cut out the back part of the counter top so the new stand alone stove can be pushed back against the wall. Another snag- apparently the lip/lining thing between the backsplash and the countertop is UNDER the counter top, so when you try to remove it- it rips up part of the countertop along with it. Mom said "I was planning on getting new countertops- but I hadn't planned on HAVING to do it right now." Also, the storage cabinet above the ventahood also has to be cut out, because the new microwave/ventahood combo will take up more space than the old one. Yes- my friends, it has been interesting. Long story short- we have not been able to cook in our kitchen in over a week. You don't realize how you take your stove for granted until you don't have one. Yes, we still have the crock pot and the microwave and the electric skillet- but every time I have gone to use it, Uncle Charlie has been in there working....so that means it's dirty and dusty and as Granny said "That's a one-man kitchen....and I'm just gonna let you be that one man." Last night I was finally able to get out the electric skillet and make some chicken, and nuke some mashed potatoes, and I made some oriental salad.....it was so great to have the smell of food in the house! I do hope to be able to cook my little heart out soon!

1 comment:

Sally said...

I could probably just give you our stove for how little I use it. Well, I guess that's not true. The kids would miss their Mac n' cheese. Hope you get everything worked out.