Sunday, August 17, 2008

Behavioral?

OK, I don't know if I've shared this before, but Quinlynne is having quite the time going poopie in the potty. She will go in her panties or her Pull-Up or whatever she may be wearing. I know I told you that not too long ago that I had to take her to her pediatrician because she was constipated. Well, I ended up having to give her an ADULT dose of Miralax to get her bowels to move. Even after that, the product was not what I would have expected.
We have adjusted Quinlynne's diet. We make sure she gets grapes, apples, carrots, tomatoes, not too much cheese, plenty of water, etc. The girl can let THE stinkiest toots, and still no pooping. I let her sit on the potty, read a book, let her have her time, sit and talk to her in there, and still nothing. Then the girl will go in her pants. It's like she's more comfortable going standing up than sitting down. Also, and please forgive the non-medical terms here.... One little terd will come out and stick between her butt cheeks. What in the heck? This happens all the time.
I have tried taking her movies away from her, talking to her, spanking her, not allowing her to do things she wants to do, etc.
So, I take her to the pediatrician again this past Friday. The doctor (rather bluntly) just tells me it's a control thing and it's all behavioral. She said it's Quinlynne's way of controlling me. I, however, do not completely believe that. Yes, I do think that she "withholds", but what in the heck is it that makes that one little terd come out??? All the time!!!! It is so entirely frustrating. The doctor did a rectal exam (havne't seen that actual cry from Quinlynne since she was tiny) and said she has good sphincter tone and she didn't feel anything weird in there. She also sent us to the lab to test for parasites in the stool. Thank goodness they gave me a container to take home and bring back. I would have just died if they would gone in and taken a sample.
The doctor has me starting a bowel regimen on her. Basically, it consists of me giving her Miralax and additional fiber until her movements become....normal. Good grief. I can't believe I'm actually posting MORE about bowel movements!!!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

As a parent, I dispise potty training. Miralax was our miracle. I bet she is letting one little turd out to releave pressure so she can continue to "withold." Good luck. You will need it.

Sally said...

It was totally all about control with James. I would sit him on the toilet for fifteen minutes and then he would go hide in his bedroom so he could go in his pants.

Real Life Roberts said...

THANKS A LOT!! I was going to start Ashley soon with potty training and now I'm scared away... heehee! Hang in there!